School Class of 1968 - 50th Reunion, July 27 - 29, 2018
E-mail as a Stage of Immaturity through Which We Must
Pass: Best Practices for Business-Quality Communication, March 6,
2015 - Working Draft
Driving a Stake in the Heart of the Capone Consultancy
Method of Records Management: Best Practices for Correcting
Non-Records Non-Policy Nonsense, March 4, 2015
Strategy Markup Language (StratML)
- WHY StratML? -- A 14-page paper relating the purposes of the StratML standard to the points made by Simon Sinek in his book entitled Start with Why, December 29, 2013.
- StratML & the Organized Mind -- A 6-page paper relating the StratML standard to concepts documented by Daniel Levitin in The Organized Mind: Thinking Straight in the Age of Information Overload, December 18, 2014.
- Strategy Markup Language: An AIIM Best Practice for Strategically Managing Information and Engaging Performance Partners to Accomplish Shared Objectives -- A draft best practices paper for potential publication by AIIM relating the concept of strategic alignment to document/content/records management, December 18, 2014.
- Technology Evolution, StratML, and the Theory of Life -- A 3-page paper relating the StratML standard to concepts documented by W. Brian Arthur in The Nature of Technology: What It Is and How It Evolves, June 7, 2015.
- Government performance data: Let's make it open, machine-readable and permanent -- An April 11, 2016, article in Government Computer News (GCN)
- The Flashy Web versus the Intelligent Web -- A 2-pager addressing HTML5 in relation to the *Strategic* Semantic Web, November 30, 2016.
- Connected in a Worldwide Web of Intentions, Stakeholders, and Results -- A 16-page paper based upon Nicholas Christakis and James Fowler's book entitled Connected: How Your Friends' Friends' Friends Affect Everything You Feel, Think, and Do, January 8, 2017.
- Liberation Revisited: Beyond Democracy to the Apolitical StratML-Enabled Performance Web -- A 5-page paper based upon Gene Sharp's book entitled From Dictatorship to Democracy: A Conceptual Framework for Liberation, April 17, 2017.
- The open, efficient, machine-readable government -- An op ed in the May 9, 2017, edition of Government Computer News (GCN).
- Cut to the Chase: Skip the Nonsense & Proceed Directly to Doing Good Better -- A 2-pager referencing Bruce Tuckman's model of group development -- Local Copy, May 23, 2017.
- Creating a Sense of Purpose: Bringing People Together to Build Community in a Worldwide Web of Intentions, Stakeholders & Results -- A 6-page paper based upon Mark Zuckerberg's Harvard commencement address, June 22, 2017.
- A plethora of YADs: Let's hope they point to a more intelligent future -- An September 12, 2017, article in Government Computer News (GCN) - Local Copy (unedited), September 4, 2017.
- Beyond Mind Reading: A StratML-Enabled Web of Intentions, Stakeholders, and Results -- An 11-page paper based upon Nicholas Epley's book entitled Mindwise: Why We Misunderstand What Others Think, Believe, Feel, and Want, October 9, 2017.
- Boomer Bust: To Be or Not to Continue to Be Sociopathic -- A 4-pager based upon A Generation of Sociopaths: How the Baby Boomers Betrayed America, by Bruce Cannon Gibney, December 4, 2017.
- Learning to Mend Misbehaving Mindsets -- A 1-pager based upon Richard H. Thaler's Misbehaving: The Making of Behavioral Economics & Carol S. Dweck's Mindset - The New Psychology of Success: How We Can Learn to Fulfill Our Potential -- Local Copy, December 11, 2017.
- If I Only Had a Brain: Evolving a Prefrontal Core-Text for the Internet -- A 3-pager based upon Change Your Brain Change Your Life by Daniel Amen -- Local Copy, January 7, 2018.
- Consciously Connected Communities -- A 5-pager based upon The Future of the Mind: The Scientific Quest to Understand, Enhance, and Empower the Mind by Michio Kaku and Incognito: The Secret Lives of the Brain by David Eagleman -- Local Copy, February 17, 2018.
Build a Truly Modern, Connected, and Collaborative Community -- Letter to the editor of the Island Packet -- Local Copy, February 25, 2018.
- Really Radical Inclusion ... in More Purposeful Communities of Results -- A 4-pager based upon Radical Inclusion: What the Post-9/11 World Should Have Taught Us About Leadership by Martin Dempsey and Ori Brafman and The Purpose Economy: How Your Desire for Impact, Personal Growth, and Community Is Changing the World by Aaron Hurst -- Local Copy, May 1, 2018.
- Conversion Failure Myopia -- A 1-pager on the inefficiency of online advertising and marketing -- Local Copy, June 7, 2018
- Fighting Political Polarization -- A 4-pager addressing the contribution of "fighting words" to political polarization -- Local Copy, June 12, 2018.
- Comments on the Cross-Agency Priority Goal: Leveraging Data as a Strategic Asset, July 17, 2018 -- Local Copy
- Enlightenment: What Are We Fighting For? -- A 5-pager with references to Enlightenment Now: The Case for Reason, Science, Humanism, and Progress by Steven Pinker -- Local Copy, July 23, 2018.
- Opium of the People -- A 6-pager referencing Karl Marx, The Welfare of Nations by James Bartholomew and Men Without Work: America's Invisible Crisis by Nicholas Eberstadt -- Local Copy, August 8, 2018.
- Artificial Ignorance -- A 3-pager citing various sources -- Local Copy, August 22, 2018.
- Sweet Success & Satisfaction -- A 5-pager on the importance of delaying gratification -- Local Copy, October 1, 2018.
- Comments on the Cross-Agency Priority Goal: Leveraging Data as a Strategic Asset: Phase 2 - Federal Data Strategy Practices, October 18, 2018
- Transforming Governance: Reducing the Cost of GOFPAU -- A 7-pager on good-old-fashioned politics as usual -- Local Copy, October 29, 2018.
- Re-Imagining Liberalism -- An 8-pager on the corruption of classical liberalism -- Local Copy, November 18, 2018.
- Privately Well Practiced Public Policymaking -- Three page copy on Google Docs, August 27, 2019.
- Ignorance, Politics & Democracy v. Expertise & Entrepreneurship -- A 2-pager on permissionless innovation v. permissionless governance -- Local Copy, June 8, 2020.
- The Politics Industry v. We the People and the Magic Formula -- A 22-pager -- Local Copy (with graphics), August 18, 2020.
- Connecting from the Bottom-Up to Solve Problems and Save the Union -- A short article on bottom-up problem solving, June 15, 2021.
- Money, Innovation & Social Good -- A 6-page article on creation of an open market for good -- Local Copy, November 18, 2021.
- The State, Markets & Communities -- A 5-page article on the roles of the state, markets, and communities -- Local Copy, December 6, 2021
- We the Worldwide Network of Public Entrepreneurs -- A 6-page article on engaging entrepreneurs in solving public problems -- Local Copy, January 12, 2022.
- Democratic Authoritarianism -- A 7-page article on political polarization -- Local Copy, February 9, 2022.
- Empathy, War & Personal Responsibility -- A 2-page article -- Local Copy, March 11, 2022.
- Building Truly Connected Communities of Results:
Social Revival for Political Realists -- A 5-page article -- Local Copy, September 5, 2022.
- Democracy, Authoritarianism, Corruption & the Selfish Brain -- A 6-page article -- Local Copy, January 10, 2023.
- What the World Needs Now -- A short article referencing You.com & ChatGPT, January 10, 2023.
- Values, Goals & Partnerships -- A short article listing values cited in StratML documents in rank order of frequency, February 6, 2023.
- Legitimacy v. Creativity & Partnership in Truly Connected CoRs -- An article referencing my July 15, 2000, paper on French & Raven's bases of social power, February 18, 2023.
- AI Performance Plans & Reports -- A short article referencing the Center for Data Innovation's forum on AI policy, February 23, 2023.
- Purpose, Strategy & AI -- An article documenting ChatGPT's response to the question of how might humans engage with AI without abdicating essential parts of strategy to machines, February 25, 2023.
- PPP Fraud v. Ukraine Aid -- A short article documenting ChatGPT's responses to questions about the amount of fraud in the Paycheck Protection Program versus the total amount of U.S. aid to Ukraine, February 26, 2023.
- Restoring Trust in Government: The Importance of Complying with the Law on Machine-Readable Performance Reporting -- An article outlining how it appears that Google and Bing may be ignoring valid XML instance documents conforming to international volutary consensus standards, March 15, 2023.
- Elastic Thought & Emergent Order:
Kicking the Politics Habit -- An 11-page article -- Local Copy, April 29, 2023.
Description Schema, Documentation &
InfoPath Form - Screen Shots
Human Reference Model (HRM) Proposal, April 18, 2013
Election Candidate Issue Statements in StratML Format
Alan Perry for Mayor (AP4M) of Hilton Head - PDF
Hilton Head Town Council
- South Carolina Congressional District 1
Federal Information &
Records Managers (FIRM) Council
Even at 80 former Sen. Jim
Abdnor retains voting bloc," Sioux
Falls Argus Leader article,
February 23, 2003
a truly good guy, 1927-2015 -- Photo
Augie Alumni News Article
StratML, January 6, 2010
Open Government Directive, December 8, 2009
Records Management Tools, March 31, 2008
Government Computer News (GCN), August 6, 2007
Raines' Rules Revisited, October
24, 2006 - PPT | PDF
- Fuzzy Logic
& Miscellaneity, March 15, 2010
- Rumor Psychology, November
- Toxic Leaders, March 3,
- Crowd Wisdom, October 6,
- Tipping Points, September
- Data Versus Reality,
September 5, 2005
- Happiness as a Problem,
July 22, 2005
- Getting Things Done, December
- Lessons for a Life Worth
Living, September 18, 2004
- Recognition-Primed Decision-Making,
June 11, 2004
- Counting What Counts,
January 25, 2004
- The Oz Principle, May 30, 2003
- Beyond Certainty, May 5,
- Open-Book Management, March
- The Logic of Failure,
February 23, 2003
- Things That Make Us Smart,
February 9, 2003
- Everyday Irrationality,
July 30, 2002
- The Psychology of Deceit, May
- Schacter's Seven Sins of
Human Memory, February 10, 2002
- More XML Stuff
- Some Wild
& Crazy Thoughts on Potential
Applications of XML, June 12, 2001
- XML in a
Citizen-Centered e-Government: Having Our
Cake and Eating It Too, article
in GSA newsletter on XML Applications in Government, January 2002
(Local Copy, November 9, 2001)
- Some Meetings of Interest to Me (outdated) See also http://xml.gov/index.asp#new
- Information and Records Management Law & Policy Links of Interest to Me
- eGov, eRecords & XML ... in Order
to Create a More Perfect Union. Presentation,
eReg COP, November 18, 2002 (Local Copy)
on OMB's Information Quality Guidelines, August 7, 2001 (Local Copy)
- eGov, eRecords & XML. Presentation, FIRM
Forum, June 6, 2001 (Long Version)
- It's the Record, Stupid! Presentation at Secure E-Business Executive Summit, May 7, 2001
- Et Tu, Uncle Sammie? The Challenge of
Records Management in the Lewinsky Age. Presentations before Gaithersburg and Northern Virginia
Chapters of ARMA. October 12 and Ides of March 2000
- Reconsidering the Higher-Order
Legitimacy of French and Raven's Bases of Social Power
in the Information Age. July 15, 2000
- Comments on Section
508 (Accessibility) Regulations, May 15, 2000
- Virtual Communities: Cyber Spaces for the Social Graces, May 11, 2000, presentation.
Genesis of the XML Working Group, February 22, 2000
- Taking a FIRM Stand: E-Records and
the President's E-Gov/E-Society Directives. February 2, 2000. Expanded Version of Article for the E-Gov
Journal on behalf of the FIRM Council
- For the Record, Metrics Matter ...
But Does Uncle
Sam Care About Quality Management?
November 11, 1999
- ISO 9000 - Quality Management Systems, Paraphrased from Total
Improvement Management, by H. James Harrington, McGraw-Hill, Inc.,
- ISO 15489 - Records
- Standards of Interest to the Federal Information and Records
Managers (FIRM) Council
- When Push Comes to Shove:
The Potential to Protect Personal Privacy and Preferences Via P3P,
Digital Personas, and X.500. May 2, 1999
- Web Records. Logical and
Statutory Requirements: Proposed Strategy & Objectives for
the Ad Hoc Workgroup on Web Records. Department of the Interior.
April 14, 1999. (Slide Show)
- Freedom's Just
Another Word ... for Metadata:
Knowledge Management and Discovery via DASL, Z39.50, X.500 and the DMA
- Freedom of Information: AIIM's GovSIG
GOTS What It Takes to Satisfy. Two-part article for the Capitol
1 and Part 2
- Records Managers Anonymous.
Show) before the American Society of
Access Professionals (ASAP), Rockville, Maryland, November 16, 1998
- Federal Computer Week
- Government Computer News
- Government Executive Magazine
- XML & KM - A
Government Perspective (scroll to bottom of article)
- Electronic Commerce (EC) Papers
Parallelism, and RISC: What
Smart, Enterprising People and Organizations Can Learn from the
Architecture of Dumb Machines, July 8, 1998
- The Knowledge Management Value Chain:
Weak Links, Shackles, and Tow Trucks on the Government Information
Superhighway. Presentation (Slide Show) before
the American Society for Information Science (ASIS), Orlando, Florida,
May 19, 1998
Animated Version (1.4 MB; use space
bar to move through presentation)
Access Laws (Slide Show)
Contractor Performance, April 27, 1998
- A White Paper on the
Document Management Alliance, February 1998, by Dan Schneider of the
Department of Justice (DOJ)
- Dan's Notes from the AIIM 1999 and 2000 Conference and
- GILS & Document
- 1-800-SAY-THE-WORD: The X.500 Blue Pages Key to Stockholder/Customer-Accessible Government,
- Metadata or Malfeasance:
Which Will It Be? September 1997 (Local
Copy - PDF)
- Automated Forms: Putting the Customer First Through Intelligent
Object-Oriented Chunking of Information and Technology. May 1997
- Government Paperwork Elimination
- Department of the Interior Forms
Automation Task Force
- Needles in
Haystacks: Getting to the Point of
Federal Records with Document Metadata and Electronic Document
Management Systems. November 1996
- Critical Success Factors for a Collaborative Database in a Large, Geographically Dispersed Organization.
- U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service